St Mary, Ponsbourne
The church of St Mary Ponsbourne is located in the centre of Newgate Street Village (see map). Services are usually held at St Mary's on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month. Full details of services in the Group.
|Churchwardens:||Mr T M Sutcliffe, School Cottages, Newgate Street, SG13 8RA. Telephone 01707 874388|
|PCC Secretary:||c/o Hartford Hundred Rectory. Telephone 01707 875940|
|Organist:||Mr P Minchinton. Telephone 01707 323742|
Built in 1848 from Bath stone and known originally as St Mary's Tolmers and then as St Mary's Hatfield, the church was enlarged in 1858 when the present Walker pipe organ and the tower with steeple were added. A new chancel, organ chamber and vestry were erected in 1887. The church was originally in the parish of Hatfield until Ponsbourne St Mary parish was created in December 1912 and adjacent land to the south was consecrated as a burial ground in November 1913. The parish became part of the Hartford Hundred West Group of parishes in 1977.
See here for details of the restoration of the Walker pipe organ.