Brickendon is centred on a traditional village green and a friendly village pub.
The Chapel of Holy Cross & St Alban is located on the eastern side of the village of Brickendon in a delightfully tranquil setting.
In 1932 Brickendon was transferred from the parish of All Saints, Hertford to the parish of Bayford. The field in which the chapel was to be built was marked by the setting up of a large oak cross in 1931.
Designed by the architect W.F.Haslip, who had previously converted an old timber barn into a chapel, it was built in 1932 in the “Arts and Crafts” movement using timber cut from trees on the Brickendon estate, with funds donated by Constance Demain Saunders and her mother Minnie Kingsley. The chapel was consecrated in 1933
The pews came from Ely Cathedral where the builders of the chapel were also carrying out alterations. The font was originally a sundial designed by Demain Saunders in 1885 and the altar a side table from the Demain Saunders’ house in Brickendon, carved by George Swain.
There is an open well-maintained churchyard, toilet facilities and ample parking.